It’s spring break!!!
Well it’s not really spring break because I’m not in school and I’m not planning on going to Ft. Lauderdale or anything. But, most of our students are on spring break, which means that we don’t have youth group this week. This week is a nice little break during a long season; we’ve had youth group every week since the beginning of the year and it will be nice to have a couple nights off.
Since we don’t have youth group our department uses this week as a mini spring break. We’ve still got some work to do but, for the most part, we take it a little easy. In years past Alycia and I have used this time to get away, usually going to Las Vegas for a few days. Since she has school, though, we’re just staying home. Alycia has to work and go to school so I’ll be left to my own devices.
I’m taking a nerdy staycation.
I’m not really fond of the term “staycation.” It’s really just a euphemism for “I’m not going anywhere but I don’t want to say I’m just staying at home.” I am just staying at home but I’m going to make the most of being at home.
Here are some of my nerdy plans for my staycation.
- Mass Effect 2: I don’t know if I have time to beat Mass Effect 2 this week, but I would like to play it a little bit. I’ve had an Xbox One since October but haven’t really played it that much. I have so many Xbox 360 games that I haven’t even played; they make me feel guilty for starting a new Xbox One game. I can’t get to them all this week, but I can get to Commander Shepard’s second adventure.
- Comics: I love reading comic books. I’m all caught up on Star Wars, Darth Vader and Princess Leia, but there are definitely some older comics that I want to read. Marvel Unlimited is great for reading back issues, which is perfect for me since I’m so far behind on Marvel’s universe. By the time I get current, Marvel will probably have destroyed and rebooted its universe a few more times.
- Wolves of the Calla: Wolves of the Calla is the fifth book in Stephen King’s The Dark Tower I’ve been reading The Dark Tower since the end of last summer, working my way through the lengthy novels. I’ve enjoyed the series so far and can’t wait to see how it ends. Hopefully I’ll have some time this week to get a little closer to that end.
- Movies: I love watching movies but I don’t always have the time to watch them. Hopefully I’ll find time to see Kingsman: The Secret Service in the theater as well as watching some movies at home. I bought X-Men: Days of Future Past, but haven’t watched it yet. I also might want to watch Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, even though they’re not supposed to be that good and even though the new Alien movie might not even acknowledge them.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Ever since The Winter Soldier came out, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been tremendous. We were all caught up before its winter hiatus, but now Alycia and I are a few episodes behind. I’m excited to watch the new episodes of H.I.E.L.D., in no small part because it’s something Alycia and I do together.
I hope my staycation will be filled with nerdiness but, more than anything, I hope that I find time to rest and be with God. I’ve just exited a busy season and am gearing up for another busy season. Hopefully this week will give me the opportunity to pause and rest in silence and solitude.
And I want to play video games.
What would you do on a nerdy staycation?