#986 – The Force Awakens Trailer
I woke up early on Friday morning. Not to go Black Friday shopping but to watch the first trailer for The Force Awakens. I really like sleeping but the trailer was definitely worth waking up for. If you haven’t seen the trailer yet (seriously?) you can watch it below. Or you can just watch it for the 73rd time.
Now I don’t know much about The Force Awakens. I have avoided spoilers like the Pharisees avoided lepers. Below are some thoughts I had while watching the trailer, but they’re pretty much based just off the trailer. I don’t have any outside information informing my observations.
- For being the planet farthest from the bright center of the universe, Tatooine sure has played an important role in that galaxy far, far away.
- John Boyega plays a Stormtrooper…or at least he steals a Stormtrooper’s armor. If Boyega is one of the main characters, we may get an Imperial perspective to go along with the Rebellion perspective. Unless the Rebellion is gone and the New Republic has been established.
- I like this little guy even though he looks like a soccer ball. I’m glad Artoo and Threepio will be joining our soccer ball friend; the droids have been one of the most constant parts of the Star Wars universe.
- This was probably my favorite part of the trailer. There are actual actors inside actual Stormtrooper armor. Every single clone trooper in the prequels was CGI; I’m excited to see some practical affects brought back for The Force Awakens.
- This is actress Daisy Ridley. I do not know which character she plays, but she looks a lot like Natalie Portman. I don’t think I’m going too far out on a limb by saying I think she’s Leia and Han’s daughter.
- I like the redesign of the X-Wings. Also, I like that they’re not just flying around in space. It would be awesome to see a dogfight between X-Wings and TIE fighters in a planet’s atmosphere, over lakes and between mountains.
- This shot garnered the most response on the Internet. People were freaking out about the impracticality of a lightsaber with a laser hilt. I really don’t care about its impracticality because it looks totally awesome. I was more interested in the jaggedness of the lightsaber. I wonder if this lightsaber is different or if J.J. Abrams has decided to change the aesthetic of all lightsabers.
- And boom goes the dynamite.
Star Wars has been a part of my life from the beginning. I’m so glad that after 33 years a new trailer for a new Star Wars movie can get me this excited. Even this small amount of footage has already got me counting down the days until the release of The Force Awakens. 381 days, by the way.
What did you think of the trailer? And please, no spoilers if you know any.