In Southern California November doesn’t look anything like the picture above. It did actually rain this past weekend but today the forecast calls for sunshine and temperatures in the upper 80s. I’ve also never seen leaves change colors like in the picture above, mostly because palm trees don’t have leaves.
Even though Southern California November may not look like November in other parts of the United States, I still love it. November and December are easily my favorite months out of the year. The summer is great, but I love the holiday season. I woke up Saturday morning ecstatic that the nonsense of Halloween had finally passed so that we could move on to some real holidays.
Whether you like November or not, here are some ways to make it a nerdy November.
- Go see both Interstellar and Big Hero 6 this weekend. I have been looking forward to both of these movies for a while. I want Baymax to become as popular as Elsa and Anna or at least as popular as Olaf.
- November is a great time to stay inside and play video games. Most of the big releases come out in November and this year isn’t any different. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare came out yesterday and Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U drops in about two weeks. You could forgo those modern games with their amazing graphics and just download TIE Fighter, the best Star Wars game ever.
- Guardians of the Galaxy will be released digitally on November 18. I’ve never purchased a digital version of a movie but I’m tempted to for GOTG. It’s either that or wait until December 9 for its physical release.
- Video games aren’t the only thing to do while inside on a cool autumn day. There are plenty of nerdy books to read. My Twitter feed exploded with tweets about The Blood of Olympus. I guess that’s a thing and you could read that and all of the other books in the series. I’m currently reading The Waste Lands, the third book in Stephen King’s The Dark Tower I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the series so far and will spend a large part of November reading about Roland, the last Gunslinger.
- Black Friday is coming up and you could spend all of November preparing. I’ve never gone Black Friday shopping and will happily be asleep on the morning of Friday, November 28. But if you really need a good deal on a new TV or a Keurig machine, dive feet first into the madness.
- Enjoy a great Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. The whole point of Thanksgiving is to gather together with friends and family around a meal. Christmas is great but can get thrown off because of the presents. Thanksgiving isn’t hindered by gifts; it’s free to simply be about spending time with loved ones. It’s still three weeks away but I can’t help getting excited.
I love November and there are plenty of ways to make it nerdy. The leaves may not be changing outside my house but I can still rustle up a cornucopia and don some buckled shoes.
How are you planning on making your November nerdy?