Happy birthday, America!
The United States of America turns 238 years old today. Most of my readers are fellow United States citizens, but there are some international readers out there. We like to celebrate our nation’s birth by eating encased meats and blowing things up, which I’m more than all right with.
There are plenty of valid criticisms of the U.S. Right now I’m most upset that almost all of our elected officials vote in the best interests of whatever lobby is paying them the most money.
But we’re supposed to be nice to people on their birthday and the United States is no different. So here are some of the nerdiest reasons to love the United States of America.
- Captain America.
- Freedom to pursue our favorite nerdclinations. We also have freedom of religion, which is probably more important.
- Amazon Prime. I love two-day shipping and it isn’t available in every country.
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Orlando looks amazing but perhaps not amazing enough to visit Florida.
- Star Wars and Star Trek are as American as apple pie and jazz, except for all of the British people in Episode IV.
- Apple products are designed in California. The iPhone is a beautiful piece of technology; too bad mine is in a dumb case.
I love America and I am very proud to be an American. Our nation is far from perfect but I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. I mean I’d be happy to live in San Diego but that’s still in the United States of America.
Have a great Fourth of July. If you don’t live in the United States then have a happy fourth of July.
How are you celebrating the United States’ birthday?