The first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy debuted last night and it is awesome. If you haven’t seen it yet, please check it out below. Or if you’ve already watched it dozens of times, why not watch it again?
Here are some thoughts I had after watching the trailer.
- I am even more excited for Guardians of the Galaxy than I was. August 1 cannot get here soon enough. (Also, our ministry summer will be over on August 1, which means I’ll be on vacation while watching Guardians of the Galaxy).
- The movie looks very funny.
- Marvel really is taking a risk by making a movie that focuses on relatively unknown heroes. The risk is made even bigger by placing that team in the weirdness of Marvel’s space setting.
- Just like Hulk was the crowd favorite in The Avengers, I think Rocket Raccoon is going to be the runaway favorite in GOTG. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of Rocket Raccoons out Trick-Or-Treating this Halloween.
- I’m really intrigued by Dave Batista as Drax. He obviously has the physique to play the character but I don’t know how he is as an actor. I remember watching him in the WWE and he was serviceable on the mic, but not the best. I read, though, that he went hard after this role and was completely committed to it. I’m excited to see him as the Destroyer.
- There were quick glimpses of Karen Gillan as Nebula and Benicio Del Toro as The Collector. I didn’t see Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser, unless that was him choking Drax.
- This is trailer is a great way to introduce the team but I can’t wait to learn a little more about the story.
- Chris Pratt is going to be a freaking star. He’s the lead voice in The Lego Movie, he looks awesome as Star-Lord and he’s set to star in the new Jurassic Park. Hopefully his rising star will get Parks and Recreation a few more seasons.
- While Marvel is taking a risk, GOTG also gives me faith in their process. Marvel has a plan and they are working that plan, pushing the boundaries of their Cinematic Universe. In GOTG I think Marvel is looking to push Phase Two forward but also set the table for Phase Three and the Avengers’ eventual showdown with Thanos.
- The Guardians of the Galaxy and the Nova Corps are going to be in a movie before the Justice League.
I have been looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy for a long time. This trailer has only raised that level of excitement. I’ll have to do my best, though, to temper that excitement; I don’t want to know too much before I see the movie.
What are your thoughts about the trailer?