#765 – 10%/90%

10%-90%

This weekend I have the opportunity to preach in our weekend services. I love preaching and this weekend should be no different. I especially like preaching when I’m personally challenged by the topic, which is definitely true of this sermon.

Last fall our church went through Financial Peace University. This weekend I get to encourage people to keep pressing on in their application of God’s financial principles (spoilers). A lot of God’s financial principles start with the tithe and giving God his 10%.

But does giving God 10% mean we can do whatever we want with the remaining 90%?

In Acts 4 we see the early church surrendering what they own to God, selling what they have in order to give to the church and meet the needs of others. It seems like the early church went beyond giving just 10%; they wanted to see how God could bless others with everything that they had.

By the grace of God I have been faithfully tithing for over five years. It’s a good feeling to read through a passage like Acts 4 and realize that I have been faithful to God in my finances; he asks for 10% and he gets 10%. It’s easy to forget, though, that it really all belongs to God. God may ask for only 10% but that doesn’t mean I get to do whatever I want with the remaining 90%. God’s the owner and I still need to faithfully steward that 90%.

If I want to be faithful to God with my possessions and finances then I can’t give him 10% and spend the other 90% on video games and Magic cards. I can’t write my tithe check and then cash out everything else to create authentic Iron Man armor. Everything I have belongs to God and I need to make sure that I’m spending and budgeting in a way that honors him, with the 10% and the 90%.

The 10% is easy; that automatically goes to God. It’s more challenging to look at the remaining 90% and see how God could be glorified through what remains of his provision. It may be more challenging, but it’s also has the potential to be 9 times more rewarding.

How do you strive to honor God with the remaining 90%?

Advertisements

11 Responses to “#765 – 10%/90%”

  1. Very true. God bless you as you preach Sunday. You will be in my prayers.

  2. I will immediately clutch your rss as I can not
    find your email subscription link or newsletter service.
    Do you’ve any? Please permit me recognize so that I may subscribe.
    Thanks.

  3. It’s very simple to find out any topic on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this article at this website.

  4. Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve take note your stuff previous to and you’re simply extremely excellent.
    I actually like what you have received here, certainly
    like what you are saying and the way wherein you
    assert it. You’re making it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it
    wise. I can not wait to read much more from you.
    That is actually a tremendous web site.

  5. An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.

    I do believe that you need to write more on this topic,
    it might not be a taboo subject but generally people do not discuss such subjects.

    To the next! Many thanks!!

  6. Hey there, I think your site might be having browser
    compatibility issues. When I look at your blog site in Opera,
    it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog!

  7. Hi there to all, since I am really eager of reading this blog’s post to be updated on
    a regular basis. It consists of fastidious information.

  8. I just couldn’t leave your website pripr to suggesting that I extremely loved the usual
    information a person provide on your guests? Is
    going to be again reggularly tto check out new posts

  9. Magnificent web site. Plenty of helpful info here.
    I am sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious.
    And certainly, thanks in your effort!

  10. I would like to thank you for the efforts you ave
    put in penning this website. I’m hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts
    by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me too get
    my own website now 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: