Happy Fourth of July! Even if you’re not an American, I still hope you have a happy fourth day in July. The Bible is pretty big on the numbers three, seven and 12, but the number four doesn’t get much love. Here are some nerdy fours in honor of America’s birthday.
- Episode IV got it all started way back in 1977. It’s difficult to estimate the impact Star Wars has made on my life. Obviously my faith, family and friends have been more impactful, but I think my life would be very different if Episode IV hadn’t taken us to a galaxy far, far away.
- I don’t know why I’ve never really gotten into the Fantastic Four. They have some of the most uncreative names in all of comic books. Other than Mr. Fantastic, all of their names are pretty much on the nose.
- The Fourth Doctor was my first introduction to Doctor Who. While my fandom of Doctor Who has grown exponentially with the 2005 series, I remember watching old episodes when I was younger. I loved Tom Baker’s portrayal of the Doctor, especially his trademark scarf.
- I think nerds love Taco Bell and its fourth meal because it provides the perfect fuel for late night gaming sessions. As much as it pains me to admit it, I really do like Taco Bell. I know it’s bad for me and more often than not it makes me sick, but nothing hits the spot like a Double Decker Taco.
- I think Star Trek IV was one of my first experiences with Gene Roddenberry’s wagon train to the stars. I didn’t really know who anybody was, but I liked the whales. Looking back now, I can appreciate how good The Voyage Home is, except for the acid trip scene when Kirk and crew fly around the sun. That scene was almost as bad as the boat scene from Gene Wilder’s Willy Wonka.
I hope you have a wonderful Fourth of July! Enjoy the time with friends, family and fireworks.
What is one of your favorite nerdy fours?