Today is Memorial Day in the United States. It’s a day where we remember all of those men and women who died while serving in the Armed Forces. I’m so grateful to everyone who gave their lives so that we in the United States can experience the freedoms we do. We can freely express our love for Jesus and our love for Star Wars because so many gave their lives for us. If we have today off, we should spend some time remembering those who sacrificed for us. We could also spend some time in any one of these nerdy Memorial Day activities.
- Arrested Development marathon. Season 4 premiered yesterday on Netflix and you only need seven hours to watch the whole thing.
- Watch a movie. There are plenty of nerdy movies out there to watch for the second or third time like Iron Man 3 or Star Trek Into Darkness. I might try to see Gatsby. I was supposed to read the book in high school but ended up just watching the Robert Redford version of the movie.
- Read a book. I saw the trailer for Ender’s Game and it made me want to read the book. I want to know what Harrison Ford was doing hanging out with all of those children; it looked like the world’s worst daycare.
- Take a nap. Federal holidays are great for taking a nap.
- Avoid email. Avoiding email really helps me unplug and enjoy some rest.
- BBQ some meat. Memorial Day kicks off the summer and what better way to enjoy a summery day than by eating a hamburger and hanging out by a pool? Unless you don’t live in California and it’s not pool weather, then hang out inside and make a casserole.
We should be grateful for all those who gave their lives while serving in our Armed Forces. So many of our freedoms have been earned by the sacrifice of others and we should remember that every day, not just the last Monday in May.
Happy Memorial Day!