I’ve already written a review for Star Trek Into Darkness. I loved the movie and I feel like that puts me in the minority of most hardcore Star Trek fans. A lot of my friends have seen STID and they really liked it. Unfortunately, though, none of them are really big Star Trek fans. I don’t really have anyone to nerd out with over STID and talk about everything I liked. Fortunately, there are plenty of big Star Trek fans who frequent The Christian Nerd and I would love to hear your thoughts.
Beneath the cut I have written lots of my thoughts about Star Trek Into Darkness. There are a lot of spoilers so you may want to sit this one out if you haven’t seen the movie yet.
- KHAAAAANN!!! I don’t know why J.J. Abrams and company were so secretive about John Harrison’s true identity. I don’t think anything would have been lost had we known Khan was Khan.
- What was up with Mickey from Doctor Who blowing up that building? And where was Martha? The parents really should have been Mickey and Martha. That would have been awesome.
- I thought that the struggle between Kirk and Admiral Marcus was indicative of the struggle between Star Trek’s heart and the need to make big budget blockbuster movies. Marcus wanted bigger, better and more violent while Kirk wanted to stay true to Starfleet’s ideals. I saw a lot of Gene Roddenberry’s original vision in Star Trek Into Darkness, mostly through Kirk and the choices he made.
- Why does the Enterprise keep getting beat up? It is Starfleet’s flagship yet it is constantly getting nearly destroyed. Captain Nero almost blew it up. Marcus and Khan almost blew it up. For once I’d like to see the Enterprise give out a whooping or two.
- I really liked the reference to Harry Mudd even though I haven’t seen that episode of the original series.
- I know a lot of Star Trek fans don’t like all the parallels between Star Trek Into Darkness and The Wrath of Khan. I really enjoyed them, especially with how they developed Kirk’s character. Kirk needed to learn humility and he did by recognizing the Enterprise needed Spock in the chair instead of himself.
- I think that a Star Trek movie based upon the Klingons would be great, especially if the Enterprise blew up some Birds of Prey.
- I’m bummed that Pike died; I really liked the way Bruce Greenwood played him. I guess there won’t be any Talosians in upcoming sequels.
I really did like Star Trek Into Darkness and can’t wait to see it again. I liked how it was tied to The Wrath of Khan, even though Khan didn’t need to be wrapped in secrecy. Please let me know what you thought about STID; I need someone to nerd out with.