Today is Thanksgiving in the United States. George Washington proclaimed the first nation-wide celebration of Thanksgiving on November 26, 1789. It’s a day to gather with family, eat great food and remember all for which we’re thankful.
Obviously I’m thankful for God’s infinite love, my wife, my family, my friends, my job and every day I wake up. Instead of just being thankful for the obvious blessings, I thought I’d focus on the nerdier blessings in my life.
Here are 20 nerdy things for which I’m thankful.
- I’m thankful for Star Wars. It was my first nerdclination and it’s still my favorite.
- I’m thankful for Star Trek: The Next Generation. It was my second nerdclination and it’s still my second favorite.
- I’m thankful for the amazing job Marvel has done with the first phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If I cared about any DC Super Hero other than Batman, I’d be upset that Warner Brothers couldn’t get a Justice League movie off the ground.
- I’m thankful for my iPhone. It is an amazing piece of technology, I only wish everyone had one so I could iMessage the world.
- I’m thankful for my nerdy wife. She is awesome and she’s making me a Star Wars stocking for Christmas that will have these on it.
- I’m thankful for Netflix streaming. Alycia and I have watched every season of 30 Rock multiple times.
- I’m thankful for Oblivion.It is one of the best games I’ve ever played and I enjoyed each of the 150 hours I poured into it.
- I’m really thankful for some new Star Wars movies. I trust that Disney will take care of that galaxy far, far away and ensure Jar Jar Binks never shows his floppy head again.
- I’m thankful that I finally watched Alien and Aliens this year. They were great movies and didn’t scare me nearly as much as I thought they would.
- I’m thankful that I get to sleep next to Alycia. She makes me feel safe when I have zombie nightmares.
- I’m thankful for Peter Jackson and how he brought Tolkien’s world to the big screen. I can’t wait to see The Hobbit on the biggest screen possible.
- I’m thankful for Xbox Live. It’s great to sit at home and still connect with friends while playing video games.
- I’m thankful that I never got into anime.
- I’m thankful for the digitization of music. Carrying around an iPod is way better than carrying around multiple CD wallets.
- I’m thankful for J.J. Abrams and that he made it cool to like Star Trek. I wouldn’t mind seeing Star Trek back on TV, though; that’s where it belongs.
- I’m thankful for Doctor Who. I needed a new nerdclination and it has filled that void nicely. I haven’t made it to Matt Smith yet, but I’m sure I’ll miss David Tenant.
- I’m thankful for the Internet because it’s totally awesome and continues to give me pictures of cute animals.
- I’m thankful for Google because it makes finding Bible verses really easy.
- I’m thankful for Joss Whedon because he is somehow bringing Agent Coulson back for the S.H.I.E.L.D. television series.
- I’m thankful for everyone who has spent time reading, commenting on and sharing this blog with their friends. It’s nice to know I’m not the only Christian nerd out there.
Thanksgiving may be my favorite holiday. It has all of the time with family without any of the craziness of Christmas. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving and take time to reflect on the blessings God has given you, the nerdy ones included.
What nerdy blessings are you thankful for?